Sunday, May 6, 2007

Get your eyes checked!

I've always had near perfect vision, no glasses for me.

About 8 years ago I realized strain when I started working in front of a computer full time. Turned out I needed a very slight perscription to wear just at the computer. Got the glasses, and have used them ever since, but only in front of the computer.

About 4 years ago I went in just for a checkup. No change in perscription, kept the same glasses, and it never occured to me that my eyes may actually get worse.

I figured they'd been the same perscription for 4 years, that's probably how they'll stay.

Then about 2 years ago I started leaning in toward my screen more to see the really small details. I ignored it and just figured it was just "tired eyes" being stressed, starting a new business, not getting enough sleep, etc., and since it's only gotten worse. I realized things were actually a bit fuzzy most of the time, the glasses no longer helped much, and I was always rubbing my eyes feeling sore.

So I went back in today on a whim. Big surprise, my eyes have gotten a lot worse. Still a fairly slight perscription overall, but stronger than before.

Well, I just put on the new glasses in front of the computer and woah!! It's like I can see every tiny spec of dust on my desk, I can actually see individual square pixels in the screen, it's nuts! Like I just got superman vision or something.

I also sprung for a pair of perscription sunglasses and went all out for the polarized super crazy ultra clear glass with anti-glare and the whole package. I put them on walking back out into the parking lot from the mall and once again I was totally blown away. The colors of all the cars jumped right out and things were amazingly clear. Every tiny little detail jumped right off of everything. I just wanted to walk around and "look at stuff". lol!


So if it's been more than a year since you've seen an optomitrist - do yourself a huge favor and have a checkup. Just about every mall has a couple, they're open for essentially "walk in" appointments, it's not very expensive for an exam and most insurances will cover the whole cost or close to it. The exam itself only takes about 10 minutes (and I even had the extra field of view, color, pupil dialation, everything).

Just sitting here typing this post I can actually feel my eyes more relaxed than before. I wish I'd made that simple visit a year ago. I had no idea what a huge difference it could make.

No comments: